Glycemic Control and Intravenous Insulin within the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) Podcast Pearl
By Diane Szaflarski, PharmD & Valerie Sheehan, Pharm.D.
- Identify considerations for glycemic control within the ICU.
- Identify patients to be considered for intravenous insulin (IVI) therapy.
- Describe parameters required for IVI therapy in special patient populations.
- Describe proper blood glucose (BG) management for ICU patients.
- List risk factors predisposing patients to hypo- or hyperglycemia.
- Identify when conversion of a patient from IVI to Basal-bolus-Correction (B-b-C) is appropriate.
- List the steps of creating and implementing an IVI Protocol.